Dorney Park 2018

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Dorney Park 2018

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 pm

No new rides or attractions next year. All that is being added is a free season pass for kids that are 3 - 5 years old and a new food place in WWK. All Season Fast Lane Plus has also increased from $100 to $125.

I am very disappointed that the park isn't get anything after nothing in 2016 either (I'm not counting the new Thunderhawk trains). Michigan's Adventure is the only other park in the chain to get nothing next year. It's also frustrating that other parks in the chain Cedar Point gets Gatekeeper in 2013, Valravn in 2016 and now Steel Vengeance and even California's Great America gets 2 coasters since 2013. I know Dorney is one of the smaller parks in the chain but it is still annoying that Cedar Fair basically ignores the smaller parks. Even Winterfest would have been nice to see.
Yoshi

Re: Dorney Park 2018

Postby jscll » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am

No Winterfest for 2018 is very disappointing to me. Such an announcement makes a great new for next year announcement without a great amount of capital expenditure. (To pull it off right, a couple of million will need to be spent on props, as municipal grade lights are not cheap. That being said, with proper care, they will last for decades.) It is getting hard to justify no Christmas event with the success of the events at Hershey and particularly Great Adventure.
The main thing that is holding the park back is if they operate more months of the year, they will lose their seasonal overtime exemption. The company should just let this go as it will help them hire better talent. The days of paying all employees less than eight dollars an hour are gone due to all the decent paying warehouse jobs in the area.
The zoning rules that apply to the parking lot will also need to be changed. Currently they are not allowed to use it past Oct 31st. (But they have anyway.) This will probably be a non-issue to get changed.
jscll

Postby dorneydude » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Well, from what I hear we are lucky the hours are not reduced. Not sure who can confirm but I am hearing about continued unresolved electrical issues, staff cut backs, sending empolyees home early and at times rides not being opened till later in the day...are all predominant this year...perhaps part of cost savings due to the wet summer..not sure. Personally, they frightened passholders away with pricing that is simply too expensive..especially if you don't care for the water park..and many I suspect are tiring of the haunt. I hope I am wrong...good thing they got the bumper cars....
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 pm

When I was at Cedar Creek Flyers last week, I saw a sign near the ride control panel put away that stated the ride opens at 12. I never noticed it before, but I guess that is an example of a late ride opening.

I'm probably going to visit less and less. If I still lived close enough to Great Adventure to visit 20+ times a year like I used to I would probably rarely go to Dorney in the spring and fall. I'm probably going to get to Knoebels and Hershey more in the fall instead. Without WWK open, I get bored of the ride side of the park within 3 hours. The pricing has gotten bad. I went to WWK on a Friday a few weeks ago and they use weekend pricing on the lockers. A small locker is $25 and a large locker is $50! There is a $5 season pass discount but I refuse to pay $20 for a locker and waited until 5:00 when the small locker drops to $5.

jscll wrote:The zoning rules that apply to the parking lot will also need to be changed. Currently they are not allowed to use it past Oct 31st. (But they have anyway.) This will probably be a non-issue to get changed.

I never knew that the park couldn't use the lot in November and December. I guess the 1 or 2 days they are open in November every few years when Halloween is on a Friday or Saturday isn't enough to cause a problem?
Yoshi

Postby jscll » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 am

I have been wondering that myself. My guess is since the township makes so much money from the amusement tax, they will not give the park a hard time for operating a day or two late. I am sure there will be no issue changing the ordinance, after all, the current one was written for the park to exempt them from the number of planters requirement.
If I was a normal pass holder, there is no way I would renew for next year. Customer service has definitely been given a back seat, and the dining plan is terrible when compared with Six Flags (Both in selection and cost, particularly when you consider that Six Flags includes drinks). I was thinking of not renewing at all, but there is no way I can last thru next year and not ride the new RMC's at Cedar Point and Kings Dominion.
jscll

Return to General Discussion