Is 2019 the year?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Is 2019 the year?

Postby jscll » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:02 am

Screamscape has a snippet which appears to be from BRM Associates Inc, an architect and design firm with witch Dorney Park has done business with before.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/dorney_park.htm
So, is this the year?
jscll

Re: Is 2019 the year?

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I am going to be cautiously optimistic. There are all kind of rumors of what it could be, a GCI, family invert or something else. The park is long overdue for a new coaster.
Yoshi

Postby jscll » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 pm

I think we can safely rule out a family invert. Merlin's Mayhem has a length of 1,300 feet. The coaster depicted in the image has a two dimensional length approximately 3,260 feet. To get this number, I overlayed the image in google earth, scaled it, and measured. If anyone wants the overlay I have included it below. (You will need to have Google Earth installed to view.) Of course this does not include the vertical length of the track, but it gives us a ballpark figure.

For comparison, here are the lengths of GCI's owned by Cedar Fair:
Mystic Timbers ----- 3,265 ft Kings Island
Gold Striker --------- 3,197 ft California's Great America
Renegade ------------ 3,113 ft Valleyfair!
Prowler --------------- 3,074 ft Worlds of Fun
At Hershey Park:
Lightning Racer ----- 3,393 ft (per track)
Wildcat --------------- 3,183 ft
Attachments
2019.zip
(49.72 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
jscll

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 am

Very informative, thanks for the detailed post :)

Unfortunately, now Screamscape is posting that the leaked image was fake. On TPR, someone posted this ( http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewto ... start=4490 ):
Spoke with Mike Fehnel over the holiday and the leaked ride layout is a fake. While the park has "exciting" plans for that portion of the park, this is all a well done hoax. Dinosaurs is nearly extinct (we knew this) and there will be a focus on upgrading existing attractions in the water park.

Even though WWK could use some new additions, I hope that doesn't mean no coaster in 2019.
Yoshi

Postby jscll » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 am

Is it not the job of the GM to say anything not announced is not true? If the image is a hoax, it is really an elaborate one. Whoever drew the layout (either prankster or engineer) took the following ordinance into account:
(ii) Fall Zone. Notwithstanding any other provision of this ordinance, the height of any future
Commercial Amusement shall be less than the distance from such amusement to the nearest
residential Lot Line or public road.

When I say take into account, what I really mean is the image depicts the coaster being one hundred feet from the road, which would allow the lift to be one hundred feet tall, which is a completely reasonable height for a GCI.

On a post on TPR, someone stated the turning radius was inconsistent in the image and there was no track paralleling itself. I find it interesting that InvadR At Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has no track paralleling itself and a helix with a very inconsistent radius. (InvadR also has no seat belts, but we will not see that on any Cedar Fair owned GCI anytime in the near future.)
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.232377,-76.6492798,160m/data=!3m1!1e3

It is also interesting to note that whoever designed the layout decided to make it go over Zephyr's tracks multiple times, which GCI did with InvadR. (Anyway, Zephyr's tracks can easily be shifted, Dorney Park has done it before.)
I am not convinced the firm I mentioned before is behind these documents. If the name Barry Isett & Associates, Inc. was on the document, it would give it a lot of credibility points as Dorney Park is a major client of theirs.
It would be smart for me to wait until fall and see if anything happens, but we both know I won't do that.
jscll

Postby jscll » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:44 pm

There is currently construction going on around Urgent Scare. The barriers allow access to the restrooms, but no further. The only piece of equipment that was visible was a cherry picker. For all I know, this may just be a little cosmetic work for the haunts facade, though I hope I am wrong on that one.
jscll

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 pm

NO.

It seems real estate is being taken for a dorm tho. Was cedar crest charging that much that this became worthwhile?

oh well...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Return to General Discussion